Forter Castle, Glenisla, Angus, Scotland
Forter Castle tale is painted on the dining/living room on the first floor. It was built in 1560 by the Ogilvies of Airlie to fortify and protect the entrance to the Balloch pass to Glenshee and the important Moneca Pass to Braemar and the North. It fell in 1640, burnt and gutted by Campbell marauders passing through the glens.
It was purchased by Iain Mor, 7th chief of Clan MacThomas, in 1651 together with the estate which covered the whole part of Angus, West of River Isla from Mount Blair, right up to the Aberdeenshire border. As the castle was in ruin, the chief lived in a cottage, Grandart, a mile and a half North of the castle. Forter castle and most of the estate were passed back on to the Ogilvies in 1681.
In 1988, it was bought and restored back to its former glory by the Pooley family and retains complete authenticity with the castles original history.